Updating your Windows device can be helpful to minimize security risks, increase operating system optimization and prevent service errors. Running a check for available updates is simple to do but may take some time to complete depending on how out of date your system is.
- Ensure your laptop is plugged into power and has at least a 25% charge.
- In the search field in the bottom toolbar (Windows 10) type "windows updates". Click on the "Check for updates" option that will appear in the search results.
- Once the Windows Update app launches, ignore the grey "Check for updates" button and click the blue text "Check online for updates from Microsoft Update". This will ensure that you get the latest updates from Microsoft.
- Windows will begin the process of checking for updates. This process could take several minutes to over an hour depending on how many updates are available for your device.
- After the updates have been downloaded and installed your device may prompt you for a restart or may restart on its own.
- Once your system has rebooted repeat the process until there are no updates left to install.
Have a question? Need Help?
Call 705.748.4861 ext.1281, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or click here to submit a work order.